Some Amazing Facts About Ijebu People.
- Ijebu people were the first to settle in Lagos and Ibadan.
- Ijebu people were the first people to have had contact with the Europeans in the 14th century.
- In addition, Ijebu people were the first to be educated through Western education.
- Ijebu is the largest Ethnic group in Nigeria.
- First people to manufacture gears of wars in the history of Nigeria.
- First people to contend the slavery extortion in their region.
- The first people to invent money made from cowry shells, later made Coins called “PANDORO”, which became acceptable through Africa and Europe.
- Ijebu is the only tribe in Nigeria that has its origin from the Biblical days.
- According to the Biblical account; the Jebusites were a Canaanite tribe who inhabited and built Jerusalem before its conquest by King David.
- Ijebu was the first indigenous Clerk to the European Missionaries.
- The European observers found Ijebus more intelligent than other groups in Nigeria.
- When Oduduwa was blind, an Ijebu King (fifth Awujale) was the one to provide the remedy to restore his sight.
- Ijebu people are known as socialites, people if high integrity & handwork.
- Also, Ijebu people were the one to raise agitation for emancipation from Colonialism.
- Ijebu King (Orimolusi) was the second Oba appointed by the Colonial Masters for the London conference in 1957 to negotiate the Nigerian Independence.
- Chief Obafemi Awolowo was the first individual in the modern era to be named Leader of the Yorubas (Asiwaju Omo Oodua)
- The richest black woman in the world, Mrs Folorunsho Alakija, is an Ijebu woman from Ikorodu, Lagos (waterside Ijebu).
- Ijebu man was the first Nigerian to play in the English premier league in the early 60s.
- Ijebu people are famous for Egungun, Agemo, jigbo, Ileya festivals etc.
- Mike Adenuga, an Ijebu man from Ijebu-Igbo, was the first Nigerian to single-handedly own Oil, Mining and Telecommunication (GLO).
- Ijebu man, late Haruna Ishola, was the first musician to perform outside the shores of Nigeria.
- Ijebu men, Chief S. O. Shonibare & Chief Shakirudeen Olarewaju Kazeem (Shokas) were the first Nigerians to own private individual housing estates (called Shonibare estate in Lagos. And Shokas Estate/Bobagunwa Castle) of about 40 mansions in Ijebu-Igbo.
- Ijebu man, late Chief Kuti (Abusi Odumare) from Ijebu-Igbo was the first Nigerian to be banned from building further houses in Lagos having owned about 100 storey buildings in Shomolu and Ebute Meta!
- Also, an Ijebu man, Chief Isamosta Ashiru from Ijebu-Igbo, was banned from building further houses in Ibadan having owned 99% of houses on Ososami street, Ibadan (left and right).
- Ijebu man, late Chief Abayomi Adeyemi also from Ijebu-Igbo, was the first Nigerian contractor to build about seven housing estates for Federal Govt. He has about 60 personal houses in Lagos alone!
- Unbelievable, a man of Ijebu origin was also enthroned as Olubadan of Ibadan land, Ijebu l’oko Ibadan
- An Ijebu woman (a potter), Bilikisu Significant was traced to the Biblical Queen of Sheba as wife to King Pharaoh
- Ijebu has a major farm settlement that generated hundreds of millions of naira through palm oil processing (Apoje Farm settlement in Ijebu-Igbo) for the government.
- Ijebu has produced so many musical icons like Haruna Ishola (Ijebu-Igbo), Y.K. Ajadi (Ijebu-Igbo), Popular Jingo (Ijebu-Igbo), Batuli Alake (Ijebu-Igbo), Wasiu Ayinde Marshal, K1 (Ijebu-Ode), Adewale Ayuba (Ikenne), Musiliu Haruna Ishola (Ijebu-Igbo), Kolade Onanuga (Ijebu-Ode), Salawa Abeni (Ijebu-Ode), Wale Thomson (Ijebu-Igbo), etc.
- The first black man to publish an indigenous Bible with dictionary and concordance was an Ijebu man (Rev. Dr Basil Kayode Balogun ) from Ijebu-Igbo.
- The Doyen of Theatre, Late Chief Hubert Adedeji Ogunde, was an Ijebu man from Ososa
- Ijebu nation has more than 15 tertiary institutions which include OSU/OOU, TASUED, Babcock, Hallmark, South-West, Kinston (Universities), Grace, AAP, Gaposa, Oscotech, Pogil (Polytechnics), Tasce (College of Education), etc.
- Do you know that Ijebu land (Ijagun) hosts the 1st university of education in Nigeria?
- Do you know that Ijebu nation share one-third of entire Lagos state starting from Ikorodu to Ketu, Somolu, Palmgrove, Oshodi, Yaba, Epe, Ikeja, etc.?
- Also, do you know that the Itshekiris (Delta state of Nigeria) are Ijebus?
What a great Nation.
The Regional capital is Ijebu Ode!!
The Commercial capital is Sagamu!!!
The Spiritual capital is Ijebu Igbo!!!!
Lastly, The Paramount ruler & Awujale of Ijebu land is the longest-reigning traditional ruler in the history of Nigeria—-57 years, 06 months (still counting)?
DON’T YOU THINK, THE RIGHT TIME TO HAVE IJEBU STATE IS NOW?
I am proud to be an Ijebu, what about you?
Please forward to your Ijebu brethren to make them happy today.
Published as reeived from a reader.