How to Teach Handwriting Right in Schools By The Pen Master (Coach Yusuf Owolabi)
Introduction to Handwriting
What is handwriting?
Handwriting is a systematic lifelong movement skill that requires practical demonstration and the higher level of competence by educators and parents. ( 2017; Coach Yusuf Owolabi).
Can you imagine this world without handwriting?
Is teaching handwriting right in schools?
The first thing to do by a private or public school in this country is to have a functional handwriting policy for the school.
Also, if you want to draft a functional handwriting policy for your school, you need to consult not just general educational consultants or download some materials online, rather, you seek professional help and support from experts and specialists.
In the process of adopting a policy, you need to understand that there are different types of styles.
Types of Handwriting Styles
- Ball & Stick style
- Free Cursive style
- British Cursive style
- French Cursive style
- Nelson style
- Print – Text style
- Peterson-Direction style
- Zaner-Bloser style
- Bealeg style
- Princursive style
And many more…
We should learn all the styles above to write formally. It now depends on the particular style you want to adopt in your school.
After adopting a particular style, then you should know the basic foundational skills of handwriting.
The Basic Foundational Skills of Handwriting
- Pen Grip
- Sitting Posture
- Paper placement
- Choice of books and paper materials
- Choice of pencil or pen before writing
- Fine motor skills
- Pre-writing activities
After achieving the knowledge of these basic foundational skills. Teachers must imbibe and live with some principles if they want to achieve success for this skill.
That is why the fact I will share below is what every school should have on their notice board for everyone to see constantly.
The attitude and methods of teaching by teachers are the vital ingredients in children’s handwriting success, far more important than the choice of any particular handwriting style. The reason is that handwriting should be seen and viewed as a culture in a school by all stakeholders in that particular school.
Teachers, parents and entire school management should know the importance of handwriting in today’s classroom.
Why is handwriting important in the 21st century?
- It is an essential part of early literacy development.
- It enhances learning across the curriculum, from pre-kindergarten through adulthood.
- A handwriting study shows that writing by hand reinforces spelling skills.
- When handwriting becomes an automatic process, students produce longer and higher-quality composition.
- It is an everyday communication skill as well as every child’s academic right.
- It puts focus on content, increases grades and test scores as well as boosting one’s confidence.
- A neurologist turned educator, Judy Willis states in her blog, “Writing can help the brain to develop the logical functions required for successful Mathematics and science learning.”
- Good handwritings make one project self- confidence, diligence and dexterity on paper.
As Teachers, how do you teach good handwriting?
Before you can teach children good handwriting, you need to take 7 steps.
7 Steps to Good Handwriting Skills for teachers.
- Decision: take the decision today to learn this lifelong skill.
- Passion: you must have passion and love for writing skills. Naturally, good teachers are good writers. So, why are you afraid of writing and writing neatly?
- Determination: at a point, you may feel tired and bored of writing, but you shouldn’t forget why you have started.
You decided to learn the skill to build great minds. So, you can quit. You must be determined.
- Self- confidence: this is your major secret of handwriting success. Be confident always towards achieving good handwriting.
- Study: you can’t learn this skill as a teacher without constant reading and learning.
So, read, read, read soft and hard copies of handwriting books to widen your scope.
- Role modelling: teachers are leaders, any time you write on paper or on the board, no that you are being copied by these children.
Teachers are transformational tools. It is your duty as a teacher to mould the children to have neat, beautiful and legible skills.
How to Develop Beautiful & Legible Handwriting?
The Secrets are;
The simple but hard secret of a fascinating handwriting is in the letters and numbers formation.
Note: If you want your writing to be beautiful and legible, form the letters correctly.
To God who made me, this is my secrets.